Ball’n on a budget this year? I’ve got the perfect recipe for you! Cut down on calories and grocery prices with my Zucchini Lasagna Rolls. At just $2.84 a serving your wallet and waist line will thank you!
This month’s Recipe Redux challenge was to create a healthy entree recipe to help keep food spending in check. One of my new favorite recipes is Zucchini Lasagna rolls. These rolls are full of flavor and tasty/ nutritious ingredients that won’t break the bank.
I filled my zucchini lasagna rolls with half ricotta cheese and half cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is packed with protein and is lower in fat than ricotta cheese. By combining the two you still get all the yummy creamy ricotta flavor, but with less calories. I promise, you can’t even taste the difference.
Cottage cheese is a great budget friendly source of protein. Half a cup of cottage cheese has about 12 grams of protein. It’s also a great source of calcium and low in lactose. Many people with lactose sensitivities are able to tolerate cottage cheese better than other dairy products.
Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
Side note, I usually cook for 2 so this recipe only makes 2 servings. Double or triple the recipe if you are serving more people 🙂
- 1 zucchini
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ c reduced fat ricotta cheese
- ½ c reduced fat cottage cheese
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 14 tsp garlic powder
- ½ c marinara sauce
- ¼ c mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Slice the zucchini into 5¼ inch thick slices.
- Baste each side with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake each side in the oven for 5 minutes (total time 10 minutes) so that the zucchini becomes pliable. Remove from the oven and let cool. Turn oven to 375 degrees.
- While the zucchini is cooking, combine ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Fill each zucchini with the cheese mixture. (Depending on the size of the zucchini, you may have extra filling)
- In a small baking dish, pour ¼ c of the marinara sauce in the bottom and spread into a thin layer.
- Roll the zucchini around the cheese mixture and place the roll in the baking dish.
- Do this until all the zucchini slices are filled.
- Top with the remaining marinara mixture and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Pin this recipe for later