Looking for a fun new appetizer for all of your spring events? Check out my caprese meatball skewers. This healthy appetizer is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
I received free samples of Sabra Hummus mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Did you know that May 13th is National Hummus Day? This plant based protein dip is a staple in my house. It’s great for snacking, spreading, dipping, and even cooking. My caprese meatball skewers use Sabra hummus to add an extra flavor boost.
Research shows that diets with increased bean consumption are associated with reduced risk of chronic diseases like heart disease, diabetes and obesity.Eating 2 heaping spoonfuls of hummus a day, fulfills your bean recommendation for the week! How simple is that?!
I “beautified” the classic meatball appetizer by turning them into caprese skewers. This pretty appetizer is so simple to make. Your guest will never know its packed with “good for you ingredients”. My meatballs are made with lean ground turkey, spinach, and hummus for an extra boost of fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals.
Caprese Meatball Skewers Recipe
Caprese Meatball Skewers
- 1 pound 93/7 lean ground turkey
- 1/2 container sabra hummus any flavor
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 of an onion chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 24 basil leaves
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 12 mini mozzarella balls
- Balsamic reduction I used one that comes in a squeeze tube, but you can make your own
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temp is 165 or greater.
- Assemble your skewers. Start with basil, then 1/2 cherry tomato, 1/2 mini mozzerella ball, and finally the meatball. Drizzle with balsamic reduction.