When I think of Mexican food I think of tacos, margaritas, and of course Churros! These simple, but delicious Churro Cookies satisfy your craving for the deep fried Mexican treat, but have half the fat and calories.
Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!! I hope y’all have plans to eat some delicious Mexican food and drink a couple margaritas! I know I will be! Cinco de Mayo is the perfect excuse to hangout with friends, enjoy flavorful food, and just have a good time!
This year, my roomie and I are having friends over! We’ll be enjoying turkey tacos, guacamole, cheese dip, lots and lots of margs, and these delicious churro cookies. Hey, everything in moderation, right? Cinco de Mayo only comes once a year so you’ve gotta live it up! What other holiday gives you an excuse to drink Margaritas??
Alright, alright I’m sorry! I’m done talking about margaritas. This post is about churro cookies! When I think of churros, I think of three things: cinnamon, sugar, and Disney Land. Disney Land?? Why Disney Land you may ask? It’s where I remember having my first Churro! My grandparents live in California and any time we made a trip out there, Disney Land was always a requirement. In my opinion, a trip to Disney is never complete without a ride on Splash Mountain, Fantasmic, and a churro. The crunchy cinnamon sugar outside, with the warm soft inside is dessert perfection!
My roommate and I both have a major sweet tooth; so a dessert for Cinco de Mayo was a must! That’s how these churro cookies were created. I wanted to satisfy my churro craving, but not go over board with the fat and calories.
Almond Pro was kind enough to send me a bag of their almond flour to try. Their flour is gluten free, organic, and vegan. It also contains 2x the amount of protein and 65% less fat than regular almond flour. I’m loving it! My cookies came out soft and perfect! I love that they sneak in some additional protein too!
Pin the Recipe for Later!
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon + 1/4 tsp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cane syrup or molasses
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a cookie sheet
- In a medium size bowl, melt coconut oil and set to the side
- Mix together dry ingredients
- Add vanilla, brown sugar, cane syrup, and egg whites to the coconut oil
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients
- Mix until batter comes together
- Roll into 7 to 8 1 inch balls
- Sprinkle cinnamon and cinnamon sugar on a plate
- Roll cookie dough balls into the cinnamon sugar mixture
- Place the cookie dough balls on a cookie sheet
- Bake for 7 minutes
*** I received almond flour samples from Almond Pro. The content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
I’d love to hear from you! What are your favorite Cinco de Mayo treats?