My sausage stuffed acorn squash is here just in time for Thanksgiving. This healthy fall side or entree is sure to be a crowd pleaser. For a vegetarian option, try a meat free sausage. I promise, it’s equally delicious!
Click here to pin the recipe for later.
I love stuffed vegetables especially when sausage is involved! This recipe uses a cup of chopped chicken sausage. I couldn’t find ground chicken sausage at the store and this worked great. Feel free to use any kind of sausage you like. Vegetarian, pork, chicken, turkey, deer- really anything will be delicious!
Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash halved
- 2 tsp olive oil divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked ground chicken sausage chicken sausage links will work too, just chop in bite size pieces
- ½ small onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/8 tsp ground thyme
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese ½ for cup filling + ¼ cup for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a sharp knife cut off each end of the acorn squash removing as little as possible, then cut in half.
- Spoon out the seeds.
- Brush olive oil on the insides (yellow part) of the acorn squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake, cut side (yellow side) down for 20-30 minutes depending on size of your squash until tender.
- While the squash is baking, cook the sausage in a pan.
- Remove the cooked sausage, turn heat to medium and add 1 tsp olive oil.
- Add onions to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and spinach to the pan and continue to cook until the onions brown and spinach wilts (about 1-2 minutes).
- Take off the heat and stir in thyme, bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese.
- Once squash has finished baking and reached desired tenderness spoon in mixture until the squash is filled.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining parmesan cheese.
Like it? Pin it!