One-pan coconut chicken and rice curry is the best weeknight dinner to spice up meal time. It’s made in one skillet making clean up a breeze!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by USA Rice & The Feedfeed. As always, all opinions are my own.
If you are looking to spice up your boring dinner routine, look no further. This recipe is far from boring, requires minimal post dinner clean up, AND it’s packed with whole grains from U.S. Grown- long grain brown rice, veggies, and lean protein making it one power packed meal.
I love cooking with U.S.-grown brown rice for so many reasons. It’s nutrient-rich, providing 15 vitamins and minerals and beneficial antioxidants. It’s gluten free, making it a healthy whole grain option for people with food allergies or gluten intolerances, and it makes you happy! No seriously, not just because it’s tasty! Eating rice triggers your brain to produce serotonin, which boosts your mood and helps keep your appetite in check. Who knew such a tiny grain could be such a nutritional powerhouse?
I’ve always been scared of making curry or any kind of Indian dish. I’m not used to cooking with those spices so I stayed away. Goodness I was missing out! It is much easier than I thought and with the right measurements, you can make it too!
What does coconut chicken and rice curry taste like? It’s mostly savory, with a hint of sweet and a hint of spice. This hearty dish is warm, comforting, and full of flavor.
How to make One-Pan Coconut Chicken and Rice Curry:
One- Pan Coconut Chicken and Rice Curry
- 1 cup uncooked U.S.-Grown long grain brown rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cups mini bell pepper sliced in rounds, (*see note)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast diced into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 cup water (*see note)
- 1 14.5 ounce can coconut milk (*see note)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Juice from ½ lime 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves chopped
- Optional: peanuts or cashews chopped
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat. Add onion and saute for 3-5 minutes or until the onions are golden. Add peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper to taste. Push all ingredients to the side of the pan.
- Turn heat to low add remaining tablespoon of olive oil, garlic, curry powder, ginger, red pepper flakes, coriander, and rice. Stir spice and rice mixture for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant. Turn heat back to medium high. Add water, coconut milk, brown sugar, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a simmer. Turn heat to medium low and cook for 35- 45 minutes or until liquid is fully absorbed and rice is tender. If you notice your liquid is absorbing too quickly, turn the heat to low.
- Add spinach and let wilt. Turn off the heat and stir in basil. Garnish with chopped peanuts or cashews.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?